From: Peter Volkov <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proxy-maintaner improvement (was: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for March)
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 12:19:17
1 В Чтв, 06/03/2008 в 09:08 +0530, Anant Narayanan пишет:
2 > The idea is to make the recruitment process as easy and quick as
3 > possible, while ensuring that the person involved has the requisite
4 > skills.
5
6 Could you explain, how our recruitment process is long and hard? Also
7 how could you ensure that the person involved has the requisite skills
8 without asking him some questions (read quizes)? If potential developer
9 does not have either time or knowledge to answer our quizes he/she'll be
10 unable to maintain packages on a daily/weekly basis:
11 * if candidate knows nothing about ebuilds he/she have to spend some
12 time and learn what they are, or how do you suppose it's possible to
13 maintain packages without such knowledge? We ~40 questions in both
14 quizes. Doing about 1 question a day (no so hard I suppose) it's
15 possible to finish quizes less then in 2 months.
16 * if you know how to write ebuilds, it's possible to finish both quizes
17 in one day, not to hard/long I suppose too.
18
19 We already have alternatives: proxy-maintainer and sunrise overlay.
22 That said, I agree that proxy-maintainers should be improved. I'll try
23 to gather ideas from this thread and may be add some new. So:
24
25 * proxy-maintainers work with developers through bugzilla (as we have
26 them now), but after they finish ebuild quiz and recruiters approve it
27 they could:
28
29 - get access in cvs to maintained packages. In this case:
30
31 1. they should have mentors which are subscribed to all proxy-maintainer
32 commits, and the mentor is responsible for all the things
33 proxy-maintainer commits
34 2. proxy-maintainer couldn't request initial package stabilization, only
35 mentor/dev from herd/team is allowed to do that
36 3. they should have IRC cloak, forums mark, voice in @gentoo-dev,
37 subscription to -core & -dev-announce.
38 4. they should be announced in -dev as ordinary
39
40 Also proxy-maintainers should be mentioned somewhere in the /doc/ area
41 of our web-site.
44 Peter.