From: Viktor Lakics <lakicsv@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] AA and KDE in gentoo - still not solved - anyone uses AA here?
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 02:16:59
1 Dear All,
2
3 DOes anyone uses AA outhere in kde?
4
5 I tried this trick (putting QT_XFT=1 to ~/.xinitrc) to make all my KDE to be
6 AA-ed, without success. I did not even have .xinitrc in ~, ( /root - right now
7 I set up everything as root and worry about permissions for users later), so I
8 created it, but it did not help at all. (I have initdefault 4 set in inittab,
9 and it seems that it works without .xinitrc)
10
11 Then I tried to put QT_XFT=1 to the startkde script in various places -
12 nothing happened. I even tried to shutdown kdm to console mode, and log in
13 again to a normal konsole, set QT_XFT=1, export QT_XFT, and then start kdm -
14 no dice.
15
16 But once I am already in KDE, fire up a konsole window and set QT_XFT=1, AA
17 works, as long as I start the apps from THAT VERY SAME konsole. The rest of
18 the KDE is still not AA-ed though...(The checkbox in kcontrol -look&feel -
19 style - use AA is switched on, of course)
20
21 To make it even more confusing, there is a single program (kppp) which is
22 AA-ed (after setting the GUI AA option on) even if I do not start it from a
23 konsole where I previously set QT_XFT=1...
24
25 I am really confused now... Why on earth the GUI control for AA only works on
26 kppp, but not for the rest?! How can I let KDE know that I want AA
27 everywhere?
35 Thread <thread@×××××××××.net> wrote:
36 > >
37 > > I only have AA fonts when I set QT_XFT=1 in an xterm, and start an
38 application
39 > > from that xterm. How can I set QT_XFT before starting KDE to have AA
40 > > everywhere in KDE? What config file do I have to edit?
41 > >
42 > I can answer the first question. Edit ~/.xinitrc, and make it say something
43 like:
44 >
45 > QT_XFT=1
46 > startkde