From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: robbat2@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Optimizing toe stepping
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 14:15:12
1 On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 09:54:39AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Although metadata.xml is one way to do this, since it is more of a social thing than a technical one I think it might be better to wikify it instead -- each dev can list their "please fix my package" preferences in a per package or per anything-with-them-as-maintainer spec in one location.
8 > I tend to think that metadata is the right place for a couple of reasons:
9 >
10 > 1. Somebody who discovers an ebuild with an issue/etc is probably
11 > sitting right in the directory with the metadata file, so the
12 > information is readily at hand.
13 > 2. If somebody was going to have to reach out to the maintainer, the
14 > metadata file would tell them who the maintainer is (both in terms of
15 > projects and individuals).
16 > 3. The file could potentially contain package-specific maintenance
17 > information. Sure, you can stick a page on a wiki that says "for
18 > rich0 in general feel free to touch anything, but be aware that mythtv
19 > upstream is picky about xyz, and be aware that the android sdk has
20 > issue xyz, ..." For somebody with their fingers on a lot of packages
21 > you could end up either writing a book, or just leaving it all out
22 > which could result in people making the same mistakes over and over,
23 > or devs might just opt out of having others touch their stuff because
24 > it is too much of a PITA to explain it all. With the metadata
25 > approach you only define package-level detail. So, if one package is
26 > hands-off, then you simply state so or fail to give permission to
27 > touch it. You could provide other background that is relevant to the
28 > specific package.
29
30 I'm adding Robin to this thread, because he wrote up a similar proposal
31 a while back. I don't remember what happened to it at the time, and I do
32 not have a link to it.
33
34 I am also in favor of the metadata approach.
35
36 William