From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, robbat2@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Optimizing toe stepping
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 21:36:11
1 On Thursday, November 3, 2016 9:14:56 AM EDT William Hubbs wrote:
2 >
3 > I am also in favor of the metadata approach.
4
5 The only downfall is you end up with lots of package/developer specific
6 policies which may become complex and a nuisance. It is likely better to have
7 more of a global policy.
8
9 Also it may start inching things towards restricting areas of the tree to said
10 members of teams etc. Which starts to go in the opposite direction of Gentoo's
11 roots of wide open access. To specifically encourage others to touch others
12 stuff, and help everything move along faster. Development wise, not ricing out
13 binaries...
14
15 I do think something like a maintainers notes URI in a metadata.xml file would
16 be of use for many reasons. Not putting a bunch of rules or stuff in the
17 metadata.xml file.
20 William L. Thomson Jr.