From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 14:45:06
1 On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 12:26 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:16:03 +0100 Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | For them to know about it, they need to be warned when they do their
5 > | "emerge -p world" or "emerge -a mysql" that the upgrade is not as easy
6 > | as it seems. People using a cron job to sync are probably a
7 > | significant part of our user base...
8 >
9 > Have Portage give a red flashy before emerge if there're unread news
10 > items?
11
12 Or have it die unless they have
13 I_LIKE_A_BROKEN_SYSTEM_PLEASE_IGNORE_NEWS="yes" in make.conf.... ;]
14
15 > Although, a better solution for users who cron sync would be to have
16 > said cron mail them all the relevant news files...
17
18 We don't have control over what they do in cron, we do have control over
19 portage itself.
22 Chris Gianelloni
23 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
24 x86 Architecture Team