From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: peter@×××××.se
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] official games repository
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 10:15:21
1 On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 04:10:36 +0200
2 Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
3
4 > Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > > There is an alternative solution here; and that is to bring reviewed
6 > > versions of them to the Portage tree or official games repository,
7 > > and honor their contributions. That is a win-win situation for both
8 > > of you.
9 >
10 > I'm afraid that's too naive. :\
11
12 Why? I'm afraid you have misread what I wrote; or, maybe we're not
13 thinking on the same wave length about this.
14
15 Gentoo Developers already do this work constantly; when they bring in
16 new ebuilds from Bugzilla, review proxied maintainer's work, ...
17
18 > I have significant experience from contributors in several other
19 > projects who aren't interested in higher quality standards than
20 > their own. They will infallably find a way to continue their work
21 > as they see fit, with the case in point being gamerlay.
22
23 I do not state that they are or should be interested.
24
25 My alternative solution doesn't have to involve contributor interaction.
26
27 > Someone interested in maintaining higher standards will need to
28 > maintain such higher standards on their own, experience shows that
29 > zero percent of that effort is absorbed by those contributors who are
30 > content with lower standards - they more or less explicitly state
31 > that they do not want to learn how to attain higher quality.
32
33 That's what I was suggesting: Use their work honoring them; but, do not
34 give them back reviews or feedback as they don't want that.
35
36 > Unless one has actually been in this position I think it may be
37 > difficult to understand how extremely demotivating it is to keep
38 > cleaning up after people who do not want to learn. It is neither
39 > sustainable for a single person nor for a team.
40
41 I feel the opposite, it is often easier to start from ebuilds that
42 already work than to start from those that don't; as at that point you
43 only need to apply testing and QA practices.
44
45 Whereas otherwise you would need to reinvent the wheel, what others
46 have already done before you.
47
48 This is at least how others and I handle ebuilds and patches that are
49 provided; but yes, I also see people that rather start from scratch.
50 It's kind of a personal opinion thing, and I believe both approaches
51 are a good way; the existence of one shouldn't exclude the other...
52
53 > If there's infrastructure to support it I'm strongly in favor of
54 > letting everyone do what they like to do, a sort of live and let
55 > live.
56
57 There's always going to be so; eg. GitHub, but even with the existence
58 of such infrastructure we actually won't need it, because the gamerlay
59 project is backed by Gentoo Developers so I doubt there will be
60 deprecation of it any time soon. Indeed, let it live.
61
62 > The question is why high quality would matter.
63
64 It does for the Portage tree or official overlays that intend to deal
65 with quite a large audience, it doesn't have to be so for gamerlay.
68 With kind regards,
69
70 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
71 Gentoo Developer
72
73 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
74 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
75 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D