From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] official games repository
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 02:10:42
1 Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > There is an alternative solution here; and that is to bring reviewed
3 > versions of them to the Portage tree or official games repository, and
4 > honor their contributions. That is a win-win situation for both of you.
5
6 I'm afraid that's too naive. :\
7
8 I have significant experience from contributors in several other
9 projects who aren't interested in higher quality standards than
10 their own. They will infallably find a way to continue their work
11 as they see fit, with the case in point being gamerlay.
12
13 Someone interested in maintaining higher standards will need to
14 maintain such higher standards on their own, experience shows that
15 zero percent of that effort is absorbed by those contributors who are
16 content with lower standards - they more or less explicitly state
17 that they do not want to learn how to attain higher quality.
18
19 Unless one has actually been in this position I think it may be
20 difficult to understand how extremely demotivating it is to keep
21 cleaning up after people who do not want to learn. It is neither
22 sustainable for a single person nor for a team.
23
24 If there's infrastructure to support it I'm strongly in favor of
25 letting everyone do what they like to do, a sort of live and let
26 live.
27
28 The question is why high quality would matter. If there is a use
29 case then I think it may be quite worthwhile to have an official,
30 high quality, games overlay being worked on. I wouldn't spend a
31 second on it personally, but that's just because I don't play games. :)
34 //Peter