From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: proj/portage:master commit in: pym/portage/dbapi/
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 15:09:53
On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 08:44:28 -0500
Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:

> Oh, on the topic of btrfs, if any emerge operations do file copies, > adding --reflink=auto to the cp command will GREATLY improve > performance. That does a copy-on-write copy - it behaves like a > hard-link as far as time to create goes, but it behaves like a full > copy as far as modifications not being shared goes. [...]
We don't rely on external tools to do the copying. AFAIR it uses Python's shutil module which is rather poor. I'm slowly working on creating atomic-install tool for merging this more optimally [1]. But in this particular case, I don't think COW is particularly useful. If it works only on filesystem bounds, we could move the file directly anyway. [1]: -- Best regards, Michał Górny