From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: proj/portage:master commit in: pym/portage/dbapi/
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 15:09:53
1 On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 08:44:28 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Oh, on the topic of btrfs, if any emerge operations do file copies,
5 > adding --reflink=auto to the cp command will GREATLY improve
6 > performance. That does a copy-on-write copy - it behaves like a
7 > hard-link as far as time to create goes, but it behaves like a full
8 > copy as far as modifications not being shared goes. [...]
9
10 We don't rely on external tools to do the copying. AFAIR it uses
11 Python's shutil module which is rather poor. I'm slowly working on
12 creating atomic-install tool for merging this more optimally [1].
13
14 But in this particular case, I don't think COW is particularly useful.
15 If it works only on filesystem bounds, we could move the file directly
16 anyway.
17
18 [1]:https://github.com/mgorny/atomic-install
21 Best regards,