From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Heinrich Wendel <lanius@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Menu - Bash vs. Python Rule files
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:45:54
1 On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 17:16, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
2 > They have to change to use the new menu system.
3
4 Even though ours conforms better to the current way both KDE and Gnome
5 do it?
6
7 > > Are you planning on changing all of the
8 > > ebuilds which provide any form of .desktop entries?
9 > At the moment i see no other way.
10
11 That sounds like a complete fuster-cluck and a total waste of developer
12 time. This means we would have to make modifications to hundreds of
13 ebuilds and either create source patches for packages or manually move
14 and modify .desktop files from ebuilds/packages which currently provide
15 them. As I see it, that is a worst-case scenario and probably the most
16 labor-intensive way to go about it.
17
18 > > What would an
19 > > ebuild submitter need to do to make sure their ebuild's .desktop files
20 > > meet the requirements?
21 >
22 > I will create a validater.
23
24 I hope you plan on having it added to repoman, because I know that many
25 developers are not going to care and won't bother running a stand-alone
26 application to validate the menu entries in an ebuild. Many people
27 would consider that "non-essential" behavior of a package.
28
29 > > Would there have to be anything added to the
30 > > ebuild to have the menus created properly, or is it done on-the-fly and
31 > > transparently?
32 >
33 > take a look at portage/domenu in cvs, so a ebuild would have to add one
34 > command: domenu foo.directory
35
36 Like I said, it looks like a kludge. Would a better way of going about
37 it not be to generate the menus from the already existing structures in
38 place? Then no modification would need to be done to an ebuild to
39 ensure proper menu usage. If, say, a new Gnome app was added and it
40 adds its own .desktop entry to /usr/share/applications as it should,
41 then update-menus should detect that application and modify the menus
42 accordingly, rather than the developers having to modify the intended
43 behavior of the package to suit our needs. If we were providing a
44 near-stable tree of binary packages, I could see this happening easily,
45 but Gentoo is too much of a moving target and quite frankly, I don't
46 know many developers that want to be spending a large amount of time
47 patching up ebuilds to make sure that they install their .desktop files
48 into /usr/share/menu/applications or wherever we decide they should be.
49 Maybe I am just not understanding exactly hwo this is going to work
50 out. Perhaps you could shed some light?
53 Chris Gianelloni
54 Developer, Gentoo Linux