From: Heinrich Wendel <lanius@g.o>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Menu - Bash vs. Python Rule files
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:17:00
1 On Wednesday 13 August 2003 23:08, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 16:38, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
3 > > > Where is all the work for this "Gentoo menu" being done? I would
4 > > > definitely like to be a part of it since I am very interested in it and
5 > > > would definitely like to see this come to fruition.
6 > >
7 > > http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gentoo-menu/?cvsroot=gentoo-src
8 > >
9 > > and in irc between me and svyatogor ;)
10 >
11 > So how exactly are you going to work with ebuilds that already create
12 > menu entries in their various forms? What about ebuilds where we create
13 > them? For example, there is make_desktop_entry in eutils.eclass that
14 > was done by vapier and used by the games team. I don't know if anyone
15 > else uses it, but they probably should.
16
17 They have to change to use the new menu system.
18
19 > Which version of the freedesktop spec are you using?
20
21 Desktop Entry Spec 0.9.4:
22 http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/desktop-entry-spec/0.9.4-onehtml/
23
24 Menu Spec 0.5:
25 http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu-spec/0.5-onehtml/
26
27 > Are you planning on changing all of the
28 > ebuilds which provide any form of .desktop entries?
29 At the moment i see no other way.
30
31 > What would an
32 > ebuild submitter need to do to make sure their ebuild's .desktop files
33 > meet the requirements?
34
35 I will create a validater.
36
37 > Would there have to be anything added to the
38 > ebuild to have the menus created properly, or is it done on-the-fly and
39 > transparently?
40
41 take a look at portage/domenu in cvs, so a ebuild would have to add one
42 command: domenu foo.directory
43
44 mfg, Heinrich :)
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list