From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Heinrich Wendel <lanius@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Menu - Bash vs. Python Rule files
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:04:31
1 On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 16:38, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
2 > > Where is all the work for this "Gentoo menu" being done? I would
3 > > definitely like to be a part of it since I am very interested in it and
4 > > would definitely like to see this come to fruition.
5 >
6 > http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gentoo-menu/?cvsroot=gentoo-src
7 >
8 > and in irc between me and svyatogor ;)
9
10 So how exactly are you going to work with ebuilds that already create
11 menu entries in their various forms? What about ebuilds where we create
12 them? For example, there is make_desktop_entry in eutils.eclass that
13 was done by vapier and used by the games team. I don't know if anyone
14 else uses it, but they probably should. Which version of the
15 freedesktop spec are you using? Are you planning on changing all of the
16 ebuilds which provide any form of .desktop entries? What would an
17 ebuild submitter need to do to make sure their ebuild's .desktop files
18 meet the requirements? Would there have to be anything added to the
19 ebuild to have the menus created properly, or is it done on-the-fly and
20 transparently?
23 Chris Gianelloni
24 Developer, Gentoo Linux