From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New metastructure proposal
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 23:05:30
1 On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:32:49 +0200
2 Alexandre Buisse <nattfodd@g.o> wrote:
3
4 [snip]
5 > Please criticize this with everything constructive you > can think of.
6
7 This idea of putting almost everything into its own repo/overlay will IMO end up in the same mess that several other distros have with tons of 3rd party repos that don't play nice with each other. In case you don't know, the "one stop" philosophy with one central repo is what attracts a lot of people to Gentoo.
8 And no, inter-repo deps won't solve that problem.
9
10 Also you said you're trying to solve the "lack of goals" problem (which I don't think is a real problem in the first place) which wouldn't really solved by this proposal either, not without duplicating a lot of work at least.
11
12 I like the part about projects being self-organizing, but splitting up the tree is a no go from my POV.
13
14 Marius
15 --
16 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list