From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 01:15:56
1 Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> said:
2 > > You can do whatever you like. Nobody is forcing you to do anything.
3 >
4 > > That being said, you are not going to force *me* to do anything, either.
5 >
6 > Hmm, have I missed an argument here? Actually, the above is incorrect. You
7 > *are* forcing me to use stage3, but whatever... after all I still have the nice
8 > choice to not use GRP, as already mentioned previously, so no need to complain.
9
10 Actually, he's not forcing you to do anything since the stage1 and stage2
11 tarballs are still being produced. If you want to use them, then you can
12 download them and go ahead with your installation. If you don't understand the
13 process and what you are doing already, then you shouldn't be using them.
14
15 That being said, I have not seen anyone here offer to support these installation
16 methods. Its nice and all to say we should keep something, but the releng team
17 cannot support everything currently. If you want to "save the stage1", then
18 step up and offer to help.
19
20 Mark