From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: Chris Gianelloni <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re[6]: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:59:17
1 23.11.2005, 0:26:03, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 >> However, Gentoo still provides stage1 and stage2 tarballs. This is for
4 >> development purposes (the Release Engineering team starts from a stage1
5 >> tarball to obtain a stage3) but shouldn't be used by users: a stage3 tarball
6 >> can very well be used to bootstrap the system." </snip>
7 >>
8 >> Sorry, but that does not answer the original FAQ question at all...
9
10 > Umm... yeah. So you snip it RIGHT BEFORE THE INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS...
11 > Good show... *rolleyes*
12
13 I can summarize those "ommited" instructions for you, looks pretty much like
14 this: How do I make a cup of coffee? Uhm, you first make a cup of tea, then
15 pour it out into the kitchen sink, and then make your coffee.
16
17 > emerge -e world && emerge -e world && emerge depclean
18
19 You've missed revdep-rebuild to fix the borkage that emerge depclean produced. ;)
20
21 >> Sure, I can use hardened stage3, compiled for i386 and enjoy the Debian
22 >> feeling. ;p
23
24 > You can do whatever you like. Nobody is forcing you to do anything.
25
26 > That being said, you are not going to force *me* to do anything, either.
27
28 Hmm, have I missed an argument here? Actually, the above is incorrect. You
29 *are* forcing me to use stage3, but whatever... after all I still have the nice
30 choice to not use GRP, as already mentioned previously, so no need to complain.
31
32 > Look. I don't care what you think I should do. I really don't. You can
33 > argue this point until you're blue in the face, but until I see you
34 > volunteering to do THE WORK you really have no say. This really is something
35 > that is an internal decision to Release Engineering. We have discussed it
36 > and we're in agreement here. Now, the one thing that I've not seen *anyone*
37 > here do is step up to help with any of this. Instead, all I see is flames,
38 > name calling, and other useless arguments. We decided that we do not want to
39 > put out unsupported, known broken, crap.
40
41 > Do you really not understand the fact that we are making an attempt to
42 > improve the quality of our distribution. We are trying to improve the end
43 > user experience. We have already seen that users are not following the
44 > documentation, as it is. The Handbook keeps growing in size and complexity,
45 > and there's no end in sight. All the while, the quality is going to shit
46 > because we crossed the line where we can feasibly test what we're producing a
47 > long, LONG time ago. You're more than welcome to argue this for as long as
48 > you want, but I am done.
49
50 <sarcasm class="strong">
51 Yeah, as I see it, this will only reach the acceptable quality when it goes
52 GLI click click click way, of course also additionally hiding the dangerous use
53 flags from users so that they cannot possibly break anything when installing,
54 since they don't read the instruction properly. By that time, most of the
55 people who cared will have switched to LFS, and the rest won't mind really. And
56 additionally, this might attract a considerable Manra^^Wiva user base, so
57 everyone will benefit. ;p
58 </sarcasm>
59
60 *Now* I hope I've finally been sarcastic enough to justify the incredibly
61 pissed-off tone you've shown in your previous reply. I've not exactly seen any
62 flames or name calling here, and I'm not the one to blame for the fact
63 that you're feeling overloaded. Jump back in when you are in more constructive
64 mood. With this level of irritation caused by anyone who does not jump happily
65 on stage1 grave, the debate lacks any sense. Bleh...
69 jakub