From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re[4]: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:32:34
1 On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 22:36 +0100, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > 22.11.2005, 21:58:50, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 >
4 > >> That FAQ section has nothing in common with the original stage1 docs. Sorry,
5 > >> installing stage3 to remove all the use flags cruft subsequently, bootstrap
6 > >> and re-emerge the system and then ponder which packages are not needed any
7 > >> more (again, there's no reliable tool to remove unneeded stuff from system,
8 > >> I've already mentioned this once) - hmmm... :/
9 >
10 > > No. That FAQ section is there to describe how to install from a stage1
11 > > or stage2 tarball and has nothing to do with a stage3 tarball, nor did I
12 > > ever say that it would. I'm not sure I understand what you're getting
13 > > at here.
14 >
15 > Uhm, do I really need to quote it here?
16
17 Not really, but you're going to do it anyway.
18
19 > <snip>
20 > "How do I Install Gentoo Using a Stage1 or Stage2 Tarball?
21 >
22 > ...
23 >
24 > However, Gentoo still provides stage1 and stage2 tarballs. This is for
25 > development purposes (the Release Engineering team starts from a stage1 tarball
26 > to obtain a stage3) but shouldn't be used by users: a stage3 tarball can very
27 > well be used to bootstrap the system."
28 > </snip>
29 >
30 > Sorry, but that does not answer the original FAQ question at all...
31
32 Umm... yeah. So you snip it RIGHT BEFORE THE INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS...
33 Good show... *rolleyes*
34
35 > The above does not describe a stage1 install, but a workaround procedure you've
36 > invented because of your strong dislike of stage1 install. However much you
37 > say the result is the same, it's not. E.g. - how exactly I get rid of those
38 > unneeded packages once I've changed the use flags, bootstrapped and rebuilt the
39 > system? Honestly, stage3 is something I don't find useful for a server install
40 > because the default use flags are aimed at desktop systems.
41
42 emerge -e world && emerge -e world && emerge depclean
43
44 This was already answered for you. Your refusal to accept the answer,
45 is not my problem.
46
47 I'm tired of arguing with you. You refuse to listen to what I am
48 saying. A properly maintained and built system will be identical to one
49 built from a stage1 tarball. You cannot argue this point just because
50 you do not personally know how to do it. I have already said that we
51 are working on documenting the process for the users. This will be done
52 well before we ever remove a stage1 or stage2 tarball from the mirrors.
53
54 > Sure, I can use hardened stage3, compiled for i386 and enjoy the Debian
55 > feeling. ;p
56
57 You can do whatever you like. Nobody is forcing you to do anything.
58
59 That being said, you are not going to force *me* to do anything, either.
60
61 > > The whole point here is in what we want to support.
62 >
63 > So don't support it, but let it exist!
64
65 Why? Why would I even bother distributing something that is not worth
66 distributing? We don't want testing on them. We know they are broken.
67 We don't want users using it. We know it is broken. What purpose is
68 served by putting out something that we KNOW is broken and have no
69 intentions on fixing due to it being broken BY DESIGN?
70
71 > >> Why exactly is evaporating stage1 an ultimate goal here (as it seems to me?).
72 >
73 > > It's usefulness is far outweighed by the problems it causes, and it is
74 > > really no longer necessary, nor has it been for over a year now.
75 >
76 > Uhm, I've seen quite a couple of examples in this debate why it is still
77 > necessary and useful.
78
79 No. You really haven't. You might think that you have, but you have
80 not. We also are not advocating anything for either Hardened or
81 Embedded. They are their own projects with their own Release Engineers
82 and their own support infrastructure. If they want to support a stage1
83 tarball until the Sun explodes, I don't care.
84
85 > >> So don't support it, but why it should not exist?
86 >
87 > > I'll explain this just once. If we release it, we are expected to
88 > > support it. There are *tons* of examples of things we won't do because
89 > > we don't want the headache of supporting it. Why should this be any
90 > > different?
91 >
92 > sigh... You are not required to support it - exactly like you are not expected
93 > or required to support gcc-4 and gcc-4.1 and you can mark any bugs about it as
94 > INVALID (happens every day, quite frankly).
95
96 Look. I don't care what you think I should do. I really don't. You
97 can argue this point until you're blue in the face, but until I see you
98 volunteering to do THE WORK you really have no say. This really is
99 something that is an internal decision to Release Engineering. We have
100 discussed it and we're in agreement here. Now, the one thing that I've
101 not seen *anyone* here do is step up to help with any of this. Instead,
102 all I see is flames, name calling, and other useless arguments. We
103 decided that we do not want to put out unsupported, known broken, crap.
104
105 Do you really not understand the fact that we are making an attempt to
106 improve the quality of our distribution. We are trying to improve the
107 end user experience. We have already seen that users are not following
108 the documentation, as it is. The Handbook keeps growing in size and
109 complexity, and there's no end in sight. All the while, the quality is
110 going to shit because we crossed the line where we can feasibly test
111 what we're producing a long, LONG time ago. You're more than welcome to
112 argue this for as long as you want, but I am done.
115 Chris Gianelloni
116 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
117 x86 Architecture Team
118 Games - Developer
119 Gentoo Linux