From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git braindump: 2 of N: developer interaction (merge co-ordinators)
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 16:07:09
On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
> A hierarchy of merge lieutenants: > - This is basically the Linux kernel model. The ability to merge into >  master resides with a single person, and he pulls from other known >  specified developers, who serve to collect and fix conflicts as needed >  from the general developer population. > A merge co-ordinators that switches with time. > - This resembles the model used by Mozilla. > - Switches on a time basis; is generally some developer with a fast >  internet connection. > - Responsible for taking pull requests, merging, fixing conflicts or >  punting back, and pushing to the master branch.
I think the current Mozilla situation isn't really covered here. As I understand it, they use a model that's kind of in between "merge lieutenant" and "merge co-ordinator". They have integration and project branches, where basic commits first land. Then those branches are generally merged into mozilla-central by any team member for that branch. But IMO, discussing this now is a kind of premature optimization. We should try to just do the simple thing (everyone commits to the main tree), and if there are too many push races we can re-evaluate the issue. It might make sense for projects/herd that already do a lot of work in an overlay to switch to using a branch which they could then merge at once, of course. Cheers, Dirkjan