From: Michael 'veremitz' Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Keywordreqs and slacking arch teams
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 11:36:04
1 On 28/12/19 11:32, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 11:14:15 +0000
3 > Michael 'veremitz' Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I know I'm gonna be shot down in flames, because $heresy, but here is where
6 >> a package 'database' would actually work quite well, because you can
7 >> trivially create a query that pulls this data out, and sorts it by package
8 >> category or maintainer or whatever you like .
9 > Oh, and once upon a time, there was actually a trick you could do to
10 > make portage keep its metadata caches in an SQLite database, which had
11 > its benefits, and I even had a rough tool I wrote in ruby and shared on
12 > the old (defunct) wiki that helped do quick database queries.
13 >
14 > But the trick actually makes portage slower in multiple ways, and it
15 > never really got widespread love.
16 >
17 > ( Though I would argue how the data was stored was also inadequate for
18 > a lot of other tasks one might want to do with a database, like,
19 > keeping DEPEND stored in its string format )
20 Note:  we're nnot acttually talking about replacing portage here, just
21 creating a tool ((((thiink php script web tthingy)) that will do some of
22 the pre-screeninng worrrrk that AT hate (eg.... what kensiington did  with
23 stable-bbot)
24
25 * with apologies for keyboard/remote-access lagggg creating typo hell.