From: Ben Kohler <bkohler@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Vanilla sources stabilization policy change
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 19:10:13
1 On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
4 > To be clear: I am not suggesting to change the meaning of stable,
5 > I am suggesting that the latest available upstream kernel should
6 > perhaps be the default for Gentoo users. How to make that happen
7 > is less important, the idea to automatically mark v-s stable is
8 > only that, an idea. :)
11 > //Peter
12 >
13 > You seem to be ignoring the regressions that often come with new kernel
14 releases, the very common breakage caused in stable "genkernel all", and
15 other various complications. Unleashing brand new kernel.org sources on
16 stable users as soon as they are released seems crazy to me. These
17 releases surely bring more than just "the newest fixes".
18
19 Going straight to stable is (in my eyes) so far from being a viable option,
20 that "always unstable, allow unstable if you're ok with the risk/benefit
21 tradeoff" seems like the best bet, to me.
22
23 -Ben