From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Vanilla sources stabilization policy change
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 19:01:38
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > >> Stable should mean something
3 > >
4 > > For users, stable means "older" in practice. Always did, always will.
5 >
6 > Don't change the meaning of stable, however, for those who find it useful.
7
8 This is a good point, but the original post suggested to me that
9 actually every new release of v-s is preferable over every older
10 one and perhaps even over g-s because there are more fixes.
13 > Defining stable to mean "no testing at all except by the maintainer"
14 > just makes the keyword meaningless
15
16 I do think it's meaningless, though in a different way than you mean.
17
18 But back on track:
19
20 1. "stable" in Gentoo means "Gentoo QA-approved" and it is the default
21 2. v-s will never be stable
22 3. g-s will always be behind v-s, the latter having more fixes
23
24 It just seems to me that stable isn't a good default for the kernel
25 because of 2 and 3, and as a result users end up having fewer fixes,
26 since g-s is older.
29 > The main distinction between stable and testing is fewer updates.
30
31 If QA had infinite resources I suppose that wouldn't be the case.
32 I think it's important to stick to the actual definition of stable
33 meaning QA-approved.
36 > If gentoo-sources isn't complying with our GLSA standards I think
37 > that is worth bringing attention (and help) to, but I've yet to
38 > hear that mentioned.
39
40 Is that somehow implied by the original post, which states that g-s
41 can be expected to always lack the newest fixes in v-s?
42
43 I realize that this isn't such a simple matter, but I think it's
44 worth consideration.
47 To be clear: I am not suggesting to change the meaning of stable,
48 I am suggesting that the latest available upstream kernel should
49 perhaps be the default for Gentoo users. How to make that happen
50 is less important, the idea to automatically mark v-s stable is
51 only that, an idea. :)
54 //Peter