From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Devmanual text on ChangeLogs
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 14:25:01
1 On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 02:42:08PM +0100, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > I am actually with Samuli on this. Unless there is a particular reason
3 > for removing a package, I don't see any point of documenting this change anywhere.
4 > What difference would it make to you if you see an entry " -foo-1.0
5 > old". It makes absolutely no sense.
6
7 Removing versions has implications for the depgraph which make having
8 it documented locally fairly required. Broken dependencies is the
9 usual example, (consider developmental profiles), but it gets nastier
10 than that; consider a pkg depping on
11 || ( =foo-1.0 !block-some-other-crap )
12
13 Yes that's a screwed up dep, but people come up with some weird
14 stuff- the point either way is that removal of 1.0 can have
15 implications beyond just the perceived cleanup. Usage of --force in
16 conjunction with it makes it worse.
17
18 Not opposed to pruning the logs (every few years we seem to go cleanup
19 the offenders), but removals *matter* for the depgraph, thus
20 have been required to be documented long term.
21
22 ~harrng