From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Training points for users interested in helping out with ebuild development
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 16:06:30
1 Thomas Anderson wrote:
2 > It seems to me you're on a irc-hate rampage. There are many devs who
3 > rarely, if ever, go on irc. The _only_ requirement is that you conduct
4 > a real-time interview with a recruiter.
5
6 I have to agree with this sentiment - I have nothing against IRC but it
7 is a bit too realtime for me to be on it routinely. However, I didn't
8 have any trouble spending time with my mentor on IRC as it is a much
9 more productive way to learn the ropes. Sure, lots of time was spent
10 reading docs/etc, and doing ebuild exercises/etc. However, the direct
11 conversations were also an invaluable part of the process (even if it is
12 hard to schedule an hour just sitting at the keyboard with family/etc).
13
14 Plus, it is essential that there be some kind of interviewing process to
15 become a dev. A gentoo dev potentially has the power to hose the
16 systems of everybody running gentoo - so we owe it to ourselves and our
17 user communities to vet any candidate for this position. Sure, we want
18 to know that they know how to write ebuilds, but we also want to know
19 that they have a good attitude and some common sense as well. We count
20 on devs to understand their own limitations and to not try to
21 singlehandedly revamp baselayout/etc without careful coordination with
22 the rest of the community.
23
24 I also echo what has been said about projects like Sunrise and overlays
25 as being good gateways into gentoo.
26
27 Oh, I'm not sure I agree that new devs should be grilled to the n'th
28 degree on obscure ebuild knowledge. It is more important that they know
29 where to go and have demonstrated the ability to use this knowledge than
30 it is for them to have this memorized. If it takes a dev 28 hours of
31 tinkering to get an ebuild right I could care less as long as it is
32 right on the first actual commit. When it comes to package management
33 being careful is generally more important than being quick. It is also
34 critical that devs be able to interact in a professional manner and
35 relate well to our user community as well.