From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New QA policy: Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 12:59:55
1 On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 14:39:16 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > Failure to do this will mean you're shipping out-dated documentation to
5 > > the user.
6 >
7 > I fail to see how this could happen, unless you'd be using terrible
8 > hacks.
9
10 What part in my series of steps did you not understand?
11
12 All that has to happen is somebody does the bump, and doesn't notice
13 the documentation didn't change when they did the bump, when it in
14 fact, aught to have changed.
15
16 And just because _I'm_ capable of scruitinizing painfully everything
17 about upstreams changes and actually running tests when I maintain
18 things, doesn't mean I can actually rely on my fellow devs to do the
19 same.
20
21 The number of bugs I spot that are "somebody bumped a package, didn't
22 even add the new dependencies that were painfully obvious if you even
23 looked at upstreams changes" is too damn high, to the point my
24 intuition is often "see developer bump package, expect them to do it
25 wrong, look at what they changed, then sigh after predicting correctly"
26
27 I don't like this, but there's f-all I can actually do about it.
28
29 You have to plan for developers to cock things up, because they're
30 human, and that's what humans do.