From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:25:25
1 On Monday 27 February 2006 18:15, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:47:58 -0600 Lance Albertson
3 >
4 > <ramereth@g.o> wrote:
5 > | > So if the maintainer sticks SANDBOX_DISABLE="1" rm -fr / in global
6 > | > scope and refuses to move it, QA will have to get council approval
7 > | > to fix it?
8 > |
9 > | Use some common sense when showing an example please. We all know
10 > | that something that stupid needs to be delt with quickly.
11 >
12 > If we all recognise that level of stupidity, please explain how the
13 > heck this got into the tree:
14 >
15 > http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/sys-apps/bootstrap
16 >_cmds/bootstrap_cmds-44.ebuild?rev=1.1&content-type=text/plain
17
18 Probably because although it isn't a good ebuild it still works and does
19 not violate the sandbox. While it does things in the wrong way/place it
20 does not do the wrong things.
21
22 I do not think that anyone would argue against QA (or other developers)
23 fixing urgent big tree breakages. (and rm -rf / would certainly qualify).
24 What I see as the argument is that QA should show a degree of flexibility
25 in it's policies, and not just enforce because of the policy. This
26 especially in those cases where there is no way to provide the ebuild
27 without breaking policy, or doing so would mean a greater inconvenience
28 to the users.
29
30 Paul
33 Paul de Vrieze