From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: new "qt" category
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 13:36:11
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Ben de Groot posted on Sun, 20 Jan 2013 16:24:14 +0800 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> On 20 January 2013 00:48, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 >>> *** (VERY strongly!) Please avoid namespace pollution! Don't drop the
6 >>> hyphenated qt-pkg names. As a user, most of the time I DO only refer
7 >>> to the package name, and dropping the qt- from qt-core, qt-gui, etc, is
8 >>> WAYYY too generic to be practical. I for one would be cursing the
9 >>> generic names every time I had to deal with the package. (Tho it's a
10 >>> kde upstream issue, the same applies to "the application formerly known
11 >>> as kcontrol", now the impossibly generic system-settings, and the
12 >>> former ksysguard, now generically system-monitor. Anyone active on the
13 >>> kde general or kde linux lists knows I simply refuse to use the generic
14 >>> names.)
15 >> And how often do you specifically emerge individual qt modules? These
16 >> are usually pulled in as dependencies, and the great majority of users
17 >> do not have to deal with this. (Just emerge smplayer, or emerge
18 >> kde-meta, or emerge -uD1 @world ...)
19 > More often than one might think. =:^]
23 Same here. I have had to re-emerge qt packages several times myself.
24 It seems that when I do, I have to do them all one at a time too.
25
26 Dale
27
31 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!