From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: new "qt" category
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 09:51:14
1 Ben de Groot posted on Sun, 20 Jan 2013 16:24:14 +0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 20 January 2013 00:48, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
4
5 >> *** (VERY strongly!) Please avoid namespace pollution! Don't drop the
6 >> hyphenated qt-pkg names. As a user, most of the time I DO only refer
7 >> to the package name, and dropping the qt- from qt-core, qt-gui, etc, is
8 >> WAYYY too generic to be practical. I for one would be cursing the
9 >> generic names every time I had to deal with the package. (Tho it's a
10 >> kde upstream issue, the same applies to "the application formerly known
11 >> as kcontrol", now the impossibly generic system-settings, and the
12 >> former ksysguard, now generically system-monitor. Anyone active on the
13 >> kde general or kde linux lists knows I simply refuse to use the generic
14 >> names.)
15 >
16 > And how often do you specifically emerge individual qt modules? These
17 > are usually pulled in as dependencies, and the great majority of users
18 > do not have to deal with this. (Just emerge smplayer, or emerge
19 > kde-meta, or emerge -uD1 @world ...)
20
21 More often than one might think. =:^]
22
23 (TLDR folks feel free to skip, the summary is the line above.)
24
25 Seriously, there's occasional remerges due to USE flag changes or gcc
26 upgrades and full rebuilds, there's -rX bumps, and there's the usual
27 upstream version bumps. While most of these (save for the straght-up
28 same-version remerges) originally appear in emerge -NuDa, thus letting me
29 know they're there, it's not unusual at all for me to pick and choose
30 from the upgrade list and do bits of it at a time for one reason or
31 another.
32
33 Often, the reason is because I see something changing in the upgrade
34 list, and I'm not thru researching what's going on and how I might need
35 to change the config to accommodate it. I routinely check the ebuild
36 changelogs for -rX bumps before I actually do the upgrade, for instance,
37 because if the gentoo maintainer's doing an out-of-upstream-cycle bump
38 (thus the -rX), there's generally a reason, and part of being a good
39 admin is being aware at at least a general level, what's going on with
40 such things, especially because they might change my desired config, or
41 fix/trigger different bugs than the original package did. Other times
42 I'm still researching new USE flags, or maybe entirely new packages are
43 being pulled into the depgraph, and I don't know yet what's pulling them
44 in and why, when there's a reasonable chance I'll want to change USE
45 flags or the like to avoid the new deps, if I can.
46
47 Thus I'll often set portage going with a subset of the full upgrade list,
48 the "uninteresting" upgrades or those I've already researched, just to
49 have it working on something in one terminal, while I continue doing my
50 research on other package changes in another terminal window and/or in
51 the browser, looking up bug-numbers, etc.
52
53 Then of course there's the times when some package or other doesn't
54 build. Given the amount of masked, overlay and prerelease packages I'm
55 often running, this isn't unusual (yesterday's was plasma-workspace from
56 kde 4.9.98, aka 4.10-rc3, when I was doing the .97 -> .98 upgrade;
57 there's a missing extract-only, bug 450708 from 4.9.97 re-opened as it
58 was fixed in that ebuild but the fix apparently didn't make it into the
59 4.9.98 ebuild). Often, I'll see it fail in the listing in one window
60 (where portage is running with multiple jobs in --keep-going mode), and
61 go try to remerge it in another window, letting it fail again to get the
62 log, then researching and hopefully fixing the problem. When I do, I can
63 now rerun the merge for all the dependencies portage dropped due to the
64 failure, sometimes while the main update is still going. =:^)
65
66 For these and other reasons it's not unusual in the least for me to be
67 merging specific deep-dep packages by name. (Of course I have -1 in my
68 default emerge aliases/scripts so I don't need to worry about the world
69 file getting screwed up, tho it's empty anyway as everything's in sets.)
74 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman