From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: location of portage tree
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:14:53
1 On 2012.03.28 08:46, Alex Alexander wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 02:05:54PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > All,
4 > >
5 > > I know this has come up before, but I don't really recall what the
6 > > specific objections were.
7 > >
8 > > IMO the portage directory doesn't belong under /usr at all.
9
10 [snip]
11
12 > > William
13 >
14 > If/when this happens, we should also consider improving the internal
15 > structure of the portage folder. At the moment we just throw
16 > everything
17 > in it, which is not very user friendly. I recommend creating a
18 > subfolder
19 > for the actual tree, keeping distfiles and packages out.
20 >
21 > For example, my /usr/portage/ on this system looks like this:
22 >
23 > portage/
24 > tree/
25 > profiles/ -> tree/profiles/
26 > distfiles/
27 > packages/
28 > layman/
29 >
30 > it is a big improvement over the current
31 > distfiles-and-packages-mixed-with-tree-while-layman-wanders state :)
32 > --
33 > Alex Alexander | wired
34 > + Gentoo Linux Developer
35 > ++ www.linuxized.com
38 Lets move packages/ out of there. I share /usr/portage over NFS to
39 several different arches. Sharing /usr/portage/packages is a really
40 bad idea in that set up. As they all run ~arch, they all build packages
41 so I can downgrade quickly.
44 Regards,
45
46 Roy Bamford