From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New PKGDIR=$PORTDIR/packages/$CHOST
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 12:38:57
1 begin quote
2 On 01 Aug 2004 07:56:40 -0400
3 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
6 > I was instructed by portage devs to inform you/gwn/users of the
7 > proposed change. (give/take time to pan it out)
8 >
9 > Sweet this will indeed help you. We can for example take the case of
10 > x86 on x86 we support x86:glibc x86:uclibc x86:obsd. That's 3 full
11 > different USERLANDS all of which we can could in theory provide binary
12 > packages under the same ARCH but for which all have unique CHOSTS.
15 Whats needed is a simple upgrade path, along with time to notify our
16 users. Neither is very hard to do as we can use symlinks for backwards
17 compability.
18
19 And the move should be simple, once portage dev's have decided on the
20 finalized name for the new dir (worse if its binary package rename, but
21 the "rename" command can do marvels there. )
26 //Spider
30 begin .signature
31 Tortured users / Laughing in pain
33 end