From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devfs is dead, let's move on
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 00:38:42
1 On Wednesday 06 July 2005 07:06 pm, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 15:46 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
3 > > Ok, now that devfs is removed from the 2.6 kernel tree[1], I think it's
4 > > time to start to revisit some of the /dev naming rules that we currently
5 > > are living with[2].
8 > > [2] devfs vs. udev flames will dutifully be ignored. Give up, it will do
9 > > You no good to argue.
10 >
11 > My understanding was that we still support old 2.2 kernels for SPARC
12 > users as eradictor (iirc) posted a patch that only allowed iproute2
13 > support if the kernel supported it. 2.6 kernels support it by default -
14 > were require /proc/net/netlink for iproute2.
15
16 and eventually i'd like to get m68k into the 2.2 kernels ...
17
18 > This has absolutely zero to do with udev, but the point is that devfs vs
19 > udev "flames" cannot be ignored until non udev supported kernels from
20 > all arches are removed from the tree.
21
22 i dont see how 2.2 kernels matter since they dont even support devfs ?
23 -mike
24 --
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list