From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devfs is dead, let's move on
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:09:59
1 On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 15:46 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
2 > Ok, now that devfs is removed from the 2.6 kernel tree[1], I think it's
3 > time to start to revisit some of the /dev naming rules that we currently
4 > are living with[2].
7 > [2] devfs vs. udev flames will dutifully be ignored. Give up, it will do
8 > You no good to argue.
9
10 My understanding was that we still support old 2.2 kernels for SPARC
11 users as eradictor (iirc) posted a patch that only allowed iproute2
12 support if the kernel supported it. 2.6 kernels support it by default -
13 were require /proc/net/netlink for iproute2.
14
15 baselayout supports (and probably will indefinitely) ifconfig/net-tools
16 et all
17
18 This has absolutely zero to do with udev, but the point is that devfs vs
19 udev "flames" cannot be ignored until non udev supported kernels from
20 all arches are removed from the tree.
21
22 SPARC may have udev supported kernels supported now - I don't know. But
23 what I do know is that we have to support the lowest thing we have.
24
25 Thanks
26
27 Roy