From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:00:09
1 On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 02:50, Daniel Ostrow wrote:
2 > Most of the sys admins I have worked with belong to 2 schools, #1 is fix
3 > security issues only and #2 is fix security issues and bugs. Those who
4 > belong to school #1 generally fix bugs when and only when they directly
5 > affect the operation of the company and then it is a highly scheduled
6 > and highly localized event. Those belonging to school #2 usually have
7 > wider maintenance windows built into their environments so that they can
8 > achieve a more sweeping update. As such I believe that it is very
9 > important to delineate weather a package is being updated in the "stable
10 > tree" for security reasons or to fix a bug, and the changelog for the
11 > package should have detailed information regarding what the security
12 > vulnerability/bug is so that sys admins can pick and choose if need be.
13 > So sys admins also like to be able to do it in one motion so there would
14 > also have to be a way to "emerge security" and/or "emerge bugfix" the
15 > same way that we have a emerge world/system now.
16
17 My proposal could work with either camp. I really don't care either
18 way, as I simply think we need something implemented "soon" to start the
19 ball rolling and see what happens. Better to try and fail than to never
20 try at all and all that jazz....
21
22 We would use emerge world to do the same as an emerge security, since
23 only security fixes would be added...... or..... We would use emerge
24 world to update everything, and emerge glsa to do only security fixes.
27 Chris Gianelloni
28 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
29 Gentoo Linux
30
31 Is your power animal a penguin?