From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bunch of bugs (nothing major - skip if you're not interested)
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 01:19:40
1 On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 05:09:11AM +0000, Don Davies wrote:
2
3 > After trying to enlist help in the iRC channel to fix these, the impression
4 > was made that a team meeting had to take place before bugs could be fixed. I
5 > understand the underlying principle of not wanting to tread over other
6 > peoples territory.. but in reality we're talking about typos and small build
7 > fixes. If these cannot be immediately fixed and need a developer conference
8 > to resolve.. then well.. Good Luck when the portage tree reaches several
9 > thousand packages. Is there no interest in fixing old stuff or what?
10
11 Yes, this is totally stupid. Want a developer account? :)
12
13 > Most of this could have been fixed in 5 mins had somebody showed interest in
14 > doing so. Instead typos need a formal report? I dont mean to sound overly
15 > sarcastic, but surely we neednt go though this excercise in order to get a
16 > few small bugs tidied up.
17
18 You mean you actually care about the quality of our Portage tree? Seriously,
19 developers *should not* be letting the new team concept get in the way of
20 fixing bugs like this. Chad, if you fix up a desktop package bug, do you think
21 that Hallski will get upset? No. Just email him stating that you made the
22 fix. The team concept is *not* intended to create a Debian-style bureaucratic
23 mess; it's designed to give developers a sense of focus and to encourage *more*
24 personal responsibility, not less.
25
26 Please, if you don't have the time to make some obvious fixes, just say "I'm
27 busy." Or if you're too lazy, just say "I'm lazy." That's OK. This is a
28 volunteer project; I really can't complain. But don't use the new team
29 organization as an excuse to allow obvious bugs to linger on CVS.
30
31 I think the operative rule here is to do unto others as you would like them to
32 do unto you. Personally, if someone found an obvious typo or bug in one of
33 *my* ebuilds, I'd would like them to fix it asap (so that as few people are
34 adversely affected by it as possible) and then send me a quick email mentioning
35 the change.
36
37 Best Regards,
40 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>