From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council meeting, Thursday 15th, 1900 UTC
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:52:20
1 On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 11:51:18AM -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > Grant Goodyear wrote: [Tue Sep 13 2005, 11:40:43AM CDT]
3 > > I'm not sure that's entirely correct. I seem to remember at least one
4 > > devrel dev stating that when it comes to devs who violate technical
5 > > policies (not using repoman, repeatedly breaking sections of the tree,
6 > > etcetera) that enforcement should be left up to the appropriate
7 > > managers, not devrel. The argument was that devrel devs are often not
8 > > experts in the technical aspects, so it's hard for them to adjudicate
9 > > effectively.
10 >
11 > I should also mention that I'm not advocating this interpretation. I'd
12 > much prefer that devrel's scope encompass such technical issues.
13
14 I'd prefer the QA project/herd handle this.
15
16 In my opinion, devrel should deal in developer pissing matches
17 (preferably kicking both parties in the head for fighting), incoming
18 devs, outgoing devs, and carrying out punitive measures.
19
20 QA involves a helluva lot more then just reacting when people complain
21 that XYZ is screwing up the tree; proper QA involves actually
22 identifying xyz is screwing up the tree rather then a reactive
23 approach.
24
25 Essentially, QA requires people actively auditing the tree, deps, and
26 nudging devs to stop screwing things up, preferably with advice on how
27 to avoid screwing up. This involves a good chunk of work, and for the
28 work to actually go anywhere, there needs to be backing of some sort.
29
30 QA has never had true backing beyond (essentially) whining to devrel
31 that xyz is breaking stuff. It's not particularly surprising that
32 they haven't been incredibly effective, considering that fact.
33
34 Yes, Mr_bones_ will rightfully tear your ass if you keep breaking
35 things, but ultimately it's just nagging, if he wants anything done he
36 has to present the case to devrel, who may or may not do something.
37
38 This setup I view as (bluntly) broke; devrel isn't tracking what's
39 going on in the tree, Michael is, further he's tracking who screws
40 up and who doesn't on a regular basis due to his scans. He knows who
41 has been naughty or nice, essentially :)
42
43 Dunno, my two cents. Not much for QA being under the auspices of
44 devrel for the reasons above, but also keeping things seperated, and
45 avoiding more cabal bitching.
46
47 Not meaning this to be a slap in devrel's direction mind you; question
48 of area of focus. They deal in hauling in devs, dealing with idiot
49 devs, and chucking awol devs; I really don't see how QA falls under
50 them beyond potentially the punitive aspect of QA having someone's cvs
51 turned off for continually screwing up (willingly or otherwise).
52 ~harring