From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [ANN] Multiple version suffixes illegal in gentoo-x86
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:54:16
1 On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:40:17 +0200
2 "Jakub Moc" <jakub.moc@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Sigh... It for sure did sound like 'oh noes, the end of the world is
4 > near if we don't stop this immediately!!!111!'. Sorry, but I really
5 > fail to see the need to use such procedures when the only 2 remaining
6 > packages (eh, actually just one, the obsolete transcode ebuild is
7 > gone) clearly use multiple version suffixes because it makes a lot of
8 > sense to use them and they use them in a pretty sane way (unlike all
9 > the crazy _alpha_beta_rc_pre examples given on the relevant bug and
10 > elsewhere in this debate).
11
12 The issue is that it's a not particularly nice package manager feature
13 that's only needed for two packages. In general in those situations the
14 solution is to use some kind of workaround for the small number of
15 affected packages rather than making things even more complicated than
16 they already are.
19 Ciaran McCreesh