From: Jakub Moc <jakub.moc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [ANN] Multiple version suffixes illegal in gentoo-x86
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:42:56
1 On 4/25/07, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
2 > I don't understand how nobody can see that the *TEMPORARY* injunction
3 > against packages using this versioning scheme was put into place
4 > *BECAUSE* nobody could agree on the solution.
5 >
6 > Actually, nevermind. I digress. You're right. The Council screwed up.
7 > Feel free to give us all our 50 lashings and we'll be done with this
8 > crap.
9
10 Sigh... It for sure did sound like 'oh noes, the end of the world is
11 near if we don't stop this immediately!!!111!'. Sorry, but I really
12 fail to see the need to use such procedures when the only 2 remaining
13 packages (eh, actually just one, the obsolete transcode ebuild is
14 gone) clearly use multiple version suffixes because it makes a lot of
15 sense to use them and they use them in a pretty sane way (unlike all
16 the crazy _alpha_beta_rc_pre examples given on the relevant bug and
17 elsewhere in this debate).
18
19 It's not like that the maintainers would use such stuff because 'oh
20 it's so cooool to have multiple version suffixes, I must commit at
21 least one such ebuild'. What's exactly your 'sane version
22 specification' that you ask the maintainers of such ebuilds to move
23 them to 'as soon as possible'? And why's moving them ASAP exactly
24 needed?
27 Jakub Moc
28 Email: jakub.moc@×××××.com
29 --