From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: removing "server" profile variants from profiles.desc
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 08:18:58
1 On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 > +1. I want these profiles to *staty*. I am using this profile on my
3 > "home boxes". It is the most minimal profile as the rest of the
4 > profiles pull in too much useless stuff. What is wrong with these
5 > profiles anyway?
6
7 Looking at the actual profiles themselves, using server vs the base
8 profile makes these changes:
9 USE="-perl -python snmp truetype xml"
10
11 So, you're getting less perl/python support, but you're getting snmp,
12 truetype, and xml.
13
14 I think overall you'd get a more minimal setup with the base profile,
15 and if you really want -perl/-python you could just set those in your
16 USE. I'd think that your home box would be more likely to benefit
17 from perl/python support on packages than having snmp support. But,
18 to each his own...
19
20 I'd be all for there being an actual minimal profile, but I don't
21 think server really is that.
22
23 Rich