From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: removing "server" profile variants from profiles.desc
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 08:09:21
1 On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thursday 11 October 2012 14:56:11 Ben Kohler wrote:
3 >> I would like to suggest that the "server" profile variants
4 >> (ie default/linux/amd64/10.0/server) be unlisted from profiles.desc, so
5 >> that they do not show up in "eselect profile list" for new users. As far
6 >> as I know, this server target is unmaintained, undesirable, and somewhat
7 >> silly, if you look at its make.defaults. If this target is being kept
8 >> around just so we don't break older setups, then simply removing from
9 >> profiles.desc would allow these systems to keep using the profile, without
10 >> presenting it as a viable option for new users.
11 >
12 > sounds like something to fix rather than punt. i don't know why you think
13 > having server profiles is "undesirable", but i certainly desire it on many
14 > systems. like servers. the desktop and developer profiles are not
15 > appropriate.
16 > -mike
17
18 +1. I want these profiles to *staty*. I am using this profile on my
19 "home boxes". It is the most minimal profile as the rest of the
20 profiles pull in too much useless stuff. What is wrong with these
21 profiles anyway?
24 Regards,
25 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2