From: "J.Rutkowski" <jrtk@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Rebooting the Installer Project
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 04:25:50
1 On Sat, Jul 18, 2015, at 07:06 PM, hasufell wrote:
2
3 > The handbook consists of different sections. Installation is only one of
4 > them. An installer would just "replace" that part, not the others.
5
6 Agreed. I think that any proposed or actual installer shouldn't replace
7 any part of the handbook (and most would probably say the same). My
8 opinion is that an installer should follow the steps (in order) already
9 outlined in the handbook and up front, leave the rest to automation.
10 Nothing then changes in the installation and configuration process. The
11 only difference is making all choices up front and let the installer do
12 the rest by itself.
13 For example, once I prepare my disks I tell the installer "I want x, y,
14 or z stage3; I want openrc or systemd; I want x,y, or z profile; I want
15 the following xxx in my kernel; etc." then set it and forget about it
16 til morning.