From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 01:05:47
1 Francesco Riosa posted on Mon, 15 Feb 2016 13:13:37 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > Neither this is totally true, or put another way, everybody which is NOT
4 > using systemd is using eudev (or some form of static /dev).
5 > So obviously this is totally relevant for people that don't use systemd.
6
7 Not really true either, as there remain various distros using busybox's
8 mdev, etc. However, it's /possibly/ true that most/all distros using
9 udev-devmgr-dropin functionality, but not systemd, are switching to
10 eudev. I'm not in a position to know on that, beyond the enumerated list
11 of those using eudev that was posted earlier in the thread.
12
13 > Also, why, why people using systemd ARE interested in this thread?
14 > You should not be interested at all.
15
16 Because many of those who are using systemd, including me, are never-the-
17 less interested in preserving an alternative init system, both for those
18 who choose to use something other than systemd, and because we value an
19 environment where the choice remains available, believing that choice is
20 healthy and ultimately strengthens most players including the dominant
21 player, systemd in this case.
22
23 In my particular case, I was one of the few users actually running and
24 testing the openrc-9999 live package for many years, and that testing
25 resulted in a number of bugs being reported and fixed before they hit
26 actual ~arch release users. I stand on that openrc gentoo-bugs record,
27 and while I'm now a systemd user, I still care about a viable and healthy
28 openrc project and ecosystem, including stand-alone udev, because while I
29 am *currently* a systemd user, I know well how time and real-life
30 occasionally throw unpredictable curveballs, and for all I know, I may
31 well end up back on openrc in a few years, myself. And if not me, than
32 someone else I'm trying to help on some mailing list or whatever. As
33 such, it's very much in my own interest to make sure openrc and its
34 ecosystem (including standalone udev-replacements) remains as viable and
35 healthy as possible.
36
37 As it happens, that was actually one of my big worries about switching to
38 systemd, myself, since I /was/ one of the only openrc-live testers for
39 some time, and I was a bit concerned about the possibility of nobody else
40 actually running it and catching/filing those early pre-release bugs.
41 But I did a bugsy search on openrc-9999, and it turned out in the last
42 year or two before I switched to systemd, others had begun filing
43 openrc-9999 bugs as well, and I was no longer the only filer popping up
44 in the bug searches. So it was that a big worry about the effects of my
45 switch on others still using openrc was put to rest, and I could
46 personally switch secure in the knowledge that others had filled my role
47 as openrc-live tester and bug-filer. =:^)
48
49 And it's with all that in mind that I've participated in this thread,
50 seriously believing that eudev is in fact the most logical and viable
51 default for stand-alone udev-drop-in functionality, tho I'd definitely
52 rest a bit easier if the documentation were better and if it wasn't so
53 much a primarily one-man project.
58 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman