From: Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 12:13:44
1 2016-02-14 21:23 GMT+01:00 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>:
2
3 > On 14 Feb 2016 11:41, Brian Dolbec wrote:
4 > > On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 11:00:30 -0500 Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > > On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
6 > > > > If, for any reason, eudev should be abandoned - we can just change
7 > > > > the virtual back. One-line change.
8 > > >
9 > > > Which is precisely the corresponding argument for not switching the
10 > > > default to eudev in the first place.
11 > >
12 > > OH, my, this is looking more like you are being paid by systemd peeps...
13 >
14 > honestly ? cut the crap man.
15 >
16 > > You are just refusing to acknowledge these simple facts.
17 > >
18 > > systemd.................: irrelevant to this decision
19 > >
20 > > standalone systemd-udev.: Vehemently unsupported, support for its
21 > > capability to exist is planned to be punted
22 > > in the future.
23 > >
24 > > eudev...................: fully functional, actively developed,
25 > > and fully supported, mature project, been
26 > > around for years.
27 >
28 > udev: it's the default in every major distro that everyone tests and
29 > develops against.
32 This is NOT true, major distro use systemd, NOT udev as we use it.
36 > eudev: no one of any relevance outside of Gentoo runs it.
39 Neither this is totally true, or put another way, everybody which is NOT
40 using systemd is using eudev (or some form of static /dev).
41 So obviously this is totally relevant for people that don't use systemd.
42
43 Also, why, why people using systemd ARE interested in this thread?
44 You should not be interested at all.
48 > > Oh and here is one final piece that should blow your reason away
49 > >
50 > > https://github.com/gentoo/eudev <== NOTICE that it's upstream is
51 > > within our gentoo domain.
52 >
53 > irrelevant. any Gentoo dev can create any repo in that namespace even
54 > when they shouldn't. the fact that eudev is in there does *not* mean
55 > the whole Gentoo project has signed on to it, or that it's some sort
56 > of "banner" project. it means at least one Gentoo dev decided to do X
57 > and our project system doesn't require project consensus before X can
58 > proceed. do not conflate these.
59 > -mike