From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 20:23:43
1 On 14 Feb 2016 11:41, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 > On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 11:00:30 -0500 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
4 > > > If, for any reason, eudev should be abandoned - we can just change
5 > > > the virtual back. One-line change.
6 > >
7 > > Which is precisely the corresponding argument for not switching the
8 > > default to eudev in the first place.
9 >
10 > OH, my, this is looking more like you are being paid by systemd peeps...
11
12 honestly ? cut the crap man.
13
14 > You are just refusing to acknowledge these simple facts.
15 >
16 > systemd.................: irrelevant to this decision
17 >
18 > standalone systemd-udev.: Vehemently unsupported, support for its
19 > capability to exist is planned to be punted
20 > in the future.
21 >
22 > eudev...................: fully functional, actively developed,
23 > and fully supported, mature project, been
24 > around for years.
25
26 udev: it's the default in every major distro that everyone tests and
27 develops against.
28
29 eudev: no one of any relevance outside of Gentoo runs it.
30
31 > Oh and here is one final piece that should blow your reason away
32 >
33 > https://github.com/gentoo/eudev <== NOTICE that it's upstream is
34 > within our gentoo domain.
35
36 irrelevant. any Gentoo dev can create any repo in that namespace even
37 when they shouldn't. the fact that eudev is in there does *not* mean
38 the whole Gentoo project has signed on to it, or that it's some sort
39 of "banner" project. it means at least one Gentoo dev decided to do X
40 and our project system doesn't require project consensus before X can
41 proceed. do not conflate these.
42 -mike