From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 19:42:46
1 On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 11:00:30 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > If, for any reason, eudev should be abandoned - we can just change
7 > > the virtual back. One-line change.
8 >
9 > Which is precisely the corresponding argument for not switching the
10 > default to eudev in the first place.
13 OH, my, this is looking more like you are being paid by systemd peeps...
14
15 THIS IS OPEN SOURCE, there is not a single project out there that might
16 not become abandoned at some point in the future.
17
18 Even Microsoft may eventually abandon their crappy windows, Apple
19 abandon it's current platform, (wait they did that once or twice
20 already)...
23 You are just refusing to acknowledge these simple facts.
24
25 systemd.................: irrelevant to this decision
26
27 standalone systemd-udev.: Vehemently unsupported, support for its
28 capability to exist is planned to be punted
29 in the future.
30
31 eudev...................: fully functional, actively developed,
32 and fully supported, mature project, been
33 around for years.
36 Oh and here is one final piece that should blow your reason away
37
38 https://github.com/gentoo/eudev <== NOTICE that it's upstream is
39 within our gentoo domain. That means if Anthony (god forbid) were to
40 be hit by that proverbial bus. The project can be easily assigned new
41 developers. Not to mention the fact that with 14 downstream
42 distributions using it as their udev implementation. That I am sure
43 some downstream developers would step up and continue its development
44 too.
45
46 Need I go on to list examples of other current projects that have
47 continued when their main developer had gone for one reason or another.
48
49 HINT: they are current Gentoo defaults too.
50
51 So PLEASE show us you are capable of seeing and acknoledging the above
52 simple facts and give up these BS arguments. This whole BS over a
53 simple decision is giving me flashbacks of jury duty I did. But at
54 least then, it was over something serious. It was a murder trial.
55 This is about a simple virtual and the default order of its
56 providers!!!!!!!
59 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>