From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 20:17:33
1 On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 11:00:30 -0500
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
6 >> wrote:
7 >> > If, for any reason, eudev should be abandoned - we can just change
8 >> > the virtual back. One-line change.
9 >>
10 >> Which is precisely the corresponding argument for not switching the
11 >> default to eudev in the first place.
14 > OH, my, this is looking more like you are being paid by systemd peeps...
15
16 Nobody has ever paid me to do anything involving open-source software,
17 systemd or otherwise.
18
19 My point is just that there is no need to change today, because:
20 1. udev works just fine today
21 2. If udev doesn't work just fine in the future, we can just change
22 the virtual. One-line change.
23
24 That's all. I'm not saying that there might not be other reasons to
25 change the virtual.
26
27 I'm just saying that the possibility that udev might break in the
28 future isn't any more a reason to change the virtual than the
29 possibility that eudev might be abandoned in the future.
30
31 I love it when Patrick violently agrees with me. :)
34 Rich