From: splite-gentoo@××××××××××××××××.edu
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: strange gentoo shutdown sequence
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 15:37:36
1 On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 05:16:08PM +0200, Sven K?hler wrote:
2 > >init(8) itself sends the TERM and KILL signals when changing runlevels, and
3 > >there's no way around that, save patching init.
4 >
5 > redhat does it the other way round. redhat first calls all init.d
6 > scripts and then the TERM and KILL signals are send - so did redhat
7 > patch init?
8
9 I don't know; I don't use RHL or RHEL. However, I suspect they work just
10 as Gentoo does. init(8) first signals the processes in its process group,
11 so you'll see:
12
13 INIT: Switching to runlevel 0
14 INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
15 INIT: Sending processes the KILL signal
16
17 on the console. Then init runs the RHL shutdown scripts, the final one of
18 which probably sends all processes SIGTERM and SIGKILL, just like Gentoo's
19 /etc/init.d/halt.sh does.
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list