From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Unified nVidia Driver Ebuild ready for testing
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 20:20:42
1 > Sigh...The point was to take 3, potentially 4, ebuilds and make 1.
2
3 Well, nvidia-xconfig should probably be part of hte nvidia-settings
4 ebuild, but I really don't think the drivers and kernel module should be
5 included. Why not create a meta-ebuild which pulls all of these ebuilds
6 in, so that it is easy to install everything, yet you don't break the
7 ability to re-install the kernel module everytime somebody compiled a
8 new kernel.
11 > BTW, please post these comments to the bug report.
12
13 Bug reports are not a forum for discussion.
16 >>>We hope you will find this approach a more streamlined and easy
17 >>>implementation for nVidia.
18 >>
19 >>I don't particularly see how it is easier.
22 > But many do. This mirrors the approach nvidia takes.
23
24 Why should we care what approach nvidia takes? I'm looking for reasons
25 here.
28 > No, nVidia devs are Kris and the x11-driver group.
29 > BTW, I don't want to get into a multi-threaded debate about the
30 > merits or drawbacks to this in this forum. Bug reports or comments are
31 > encouraged since that way everyone involved will see it. I was just asked
32 > to post the invite.
33
34 See my comment above. Mailing lists are for discussion, and bugzilla is
35 for fixing bugs.
36
37 -Steve
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list