From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Unified nVidia Driver Ebuild ready for testing
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 20:04:39
1 On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:43:59 -0500, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2
3 > Since nobody else has asked, I will. What is the point? What problem
4 > are you trying to solve with this ebuild? As far as I can tell, there
5 > is no point, other than trying to sound like you are doing something
6 > important.
7
8 Sigh...The point was to take 3, potentially 4, ebuilds and make 1. As for
9 trying to sound anything, that is not true. Why not bring that up with
10 Kris who has taken up this project.
13 > I can tell you that I would be disappointed if this replaces the current
14 > ebuilds, because I really don't need to reinstall nvidia-settings and
15 > nvidia-glx every time I build a new kernel.
18 That's why we are having this dialog. When I proposed doing a unified
19 ebuild, the objective always was to get and encourage feedback. If you are
20 happy keeping up with three ebuilds, then that is feedback we need to
21 have. BTW, please post these comments to the bug report.
24 >> We hope you will find this approach a more streamlined and easy
25 >> implementation for nVidia.
26 >
27 > I don't particularly see how it is easier.
28
29 But many do. This mirrors the approach nvidia takes.
33 >> Thanks for your participation and feedback.
34 >>
35 >> Peter Hyman on behalf of the nVidia devs.
36 >
37 > The nVidia devs? Is upstream pushing this? Why? What is the point?
38
39 No, nVidia devs are Kris and the x11-driver group.
40 >
41 > -Steve
42
43 BTW, I don't want to get into a multi-threaded debate about the
44 merits or drawbacks to this in this forum. Bug reports or comments are
45 encouraged since that way everyone involved will see it. I was just asked
46 to post the invite.
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list