From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects and simple guides
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 07:19:43
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Lance Albertson wrote:
3 > | What if instead of having proj/en we did herd/en on www? Of course, that
4 > | doesn't help the whole "GuideXML is hard" bit. I like the idea of using
5 > | RST, but it doesn't seem very scalable at this time. Maybe, instead of
6 > | that, we created some kind of development site for herds (maybe
7 > | herds.g.o). Could be a place where herds put up status updates, specific
8 > | docs, draft docs, etc. Once things get established on that site, docs
9 > | could get moved to GDP if it were logical to do.
10 >
11 > Really every herd should be either part of a project or in the process
12 > of creating a new one for themselves by now. There's no excuse, since
13 > the block on creating new projects disappeared.
14
15 The question I ask is ... does every herd have a project it fits under?
16 I doubt it. And if it doesn't, is it really considered a project? Or is
17 that just a generic name given now? I guess a see a distinction between
18 herds and projects that our current documentation url layout doesn't
19 cover it well. To me, it should have its own herd/fooherd layout
20 (example being www.gentoo.org/herd/en/netmon). Otherwise you're going to
21 confuse our users into thinking that herds are projects when they're
22 really just herds. Granted, some herds may be just a project, but I'm
23 mainly after the herds that have no real project to fit under.
24
25 I understand the block was lifted for projects, but that doesn't mean
26 herds should all should fit underneath proj/. I think we should open up
27 a similar space just for herds.
30 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
31 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
32
33 ---
34 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
35 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
36
37 ramereth/irc.freenode.net