From: George Shapovalov <georges@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Three questions about making a backup of Gentoo.
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 22:50:21
1 > system. I was just going to do "tar -cjvpf backup.tgz2 /" from the
2 > rescue/install cd while chrooted in my system.
3 You probably mean .tbz2 here? Or you might prefer tar czpf and .tgz instead.
4 Will save you quite some time as gzip is faster (difference in compression
5 would be <10%)
8 > 1) Is that a safe and good thing to do?
9 It is, except you do not need (and want ) contents of /tmp, /proc and half of
10 /var. I tend to do this for just dirs I consider necessary (cd /; tar xzpf b*
11 etc home lib root sbin usr var).
12 If you will want to do this regularly, you might be interested in incremental
13 backup ability of tar or even consider something more specialized.
16 > 2) Can I delete the contents of /usr/portage/distfiles? There's about
17 > 350mb there that I don't really need.
18 yes. Or if you want to avoid downloading this stuff again just keep it
19 separately.
22 > 3) If I unmerge the kernel source, will that affect the running kernel?
23 > Will it mess up future package installs?
24 No and yes for some. You will need kernel-headers to compile some system libs
25 such as glibc.
26
27 George