From: Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] base-system needs developers who care
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 12:05:06
1 On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 11:17:58PM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > Over the years, the base-system package herd has grown in size. Today
3 > it comprises 320 packages, of which 61 of those have more than one
4 > maintainer. The packages with more than one maintainer I'm only
5 > concerned about if the other maintainer is also very busy or not
6 > available.
7 >
8 > Some of these packages are very niche, and while they continue to work,
9 > they could use a bit more attention than they get presently (you might
10 > only hear about them when they break and never when they work).
11 >
12 > They are generally NOT broken and in need of tree-cleaning, but are just
13 > lacking forward momentum (not a few bugs are reasonable upstream bugs or
14 > feature improvements). Many were once shiny and had lots of people that
15 > cared, but that dwindled as they become mundane and just expected to
16 > work.
17 >
18 > General increase in the number of developers in base-system would not be
19 > a bad outcome from this email either ;-).
20 >
21 > Some of this is from stuff I know needs eyeballs, and others are where
22 > the package seems to have more than a few old bugs open.
23
24 I'll join too. I use a fair few of them and there is SELinux integration
25 in most of the core packages so at the very least i'll help there.
26
27 -- Jason
28 >
29 > Packages in need of review & tweaks or just more eyeballs
30 > ----------------------------------------------------------
31 > app-admin/sudo (upstream?)
32 > app-admin/sysklogd- (upstream?)
33 > app-shells/bash (upstream?)
34 > dev-util/strace (upstream?)
35 > net-dialup/ppp
36 > net-firewall/iptables
37 > net-fs/nfs-utils (upstream?)
38 > net-misc/dhcpcd (upstream?)
39 > net-misc/dhcp (upstream?)
40 > net-misc/ntp (upstream?)
41 > net-misc/openssh
42 > net-nds/rpcbind
43 > sys-apps/baselayout
44 > sys-apps/coreutils (upstream?)
45 > sys-apps/kbd (upstream?)
46 > sys-block/aoetools
47 > sys-block/iscsitarget
48 > sys-block/open-iscsi
49 > sys-block/thin-provisioning-tools
50 > sys-block/vblade
51 > sys-fs/lvm2 (mostly in regards to genkernel interaction)
52 > sys-fs/multipath-tools
53 > sys-fs/quota
54 >
55 > --
56 > Robin Hugh Johnson
57 > Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
58 > E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
59 > GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
60 > GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136