From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage QOS
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:36:50
1 On 01/10/2014 08:30 PM, Igor wrote:
2 > Hello Heroxbd,
3 >
4 > Friday, January 10, 2014, 4:16:47 AM, you wrote:
5 >
6 >>> The ebuilds have approximately the same time to install, the failure
7 >>> rate is about the same, emerge is getting slower.
8 >
9 >> I am curious about the slowness of emerge.
10 >
11 >> How about profile the portage and rewrite the time-crucial part in
12 >> C/C++, or ideally, borrowing the counterpart from paludis? How feasible
13 >> is that?
14 >
15 >> I guess the dep-tree calculation is the slowest part.
16 >
17 > And to think about it - Python is a slow big snake. And Gentoo is the
18 > fastest of penguins.
19
20 No, Python isn't slow.
21
22 Bad code is bad. You can write bad code in any language.
23 >
24 > So why do we send Gentoo for food riding on Python? If it were death
25 > we send Gentoo for then I would choose Python but food?
26
27 I'm finding it very hard to stay polite, because ... honestly?
28
29 You have no idea what you're talking about.
30
31 If you want things to change - hire a few of us fulltime to work on
32 things, and you'll get the change you want.
33 Until then there's no need to point out that we are lacking manpower to
34 do large-scale changes, because that's been a constant in most
35 opensource projects since the 1960s.
36
37 Less talking, more doing - provide patches and stop polluting our
38 mailing list with your madness.