From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new USE="win32" flag for mingw and prefix/windows support
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 21:08:22
1 Ühel kenal päeval, N, 21.04.2016 kell 15:42, kirjutas Ian Stakenvicius:
2 > b) -1 for making it global right now pending resolution of logistics
3 > for the profiles/base/use.mask entry,
4
5 I don't think it's unprecedented to just globally use.mask a USE flag
6 even if it's not declared a global USE flag.
7 Or more like it's common that architectures use.mask local flags used
8 in more than one place with a clear meaning it involved a dep they
9 don't want or can't keyword. Globally masking and unmasking in one
10 profile is kind of similar.
11 Those reading PMS or whatnot can speak up if needed, but I don't see a
12 problem here.
13 The discussion is useful, as I suspect we can get sufficient users soon
14 enough, especially if you look into some of the other GUI stuff that
15 can work there (e.g gitg/gedit), though the question is what's the real
16 use of having any of these if upstream isn't looking into making use of
17 this to build their windows binaries or whatnot.
18
19 > c) rejection for the proposed ebuild patches pending a toolkit
20 > refactoring to be determined later.
21
22 Not really a rejection, it's just that I haven't looked into those
23 patches with a review mind as of yet. It just sounds like it's worth
24 looking at it deeper, that maybe there's more extensive improvement
25 possibilities. So just not an ACK as of yet.
28 > B and C make most of this thread pretty well moot, I guess, but
29 > following A, can we decide that USE="winapi" could be a good flag
30 > name?  If nobody objects I'll use that when leio and I work on the
31 > refactoring of gtk+ and likely try to use local flags somehow for
32 > now.